The United States of America is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district. The country is situated mostly in central North America. At 3.79 million square miles (9.83 million km2) and with about 309 million people, the United States is the third or fourth largest country by total area, and the third largest both by land area and population. It is one of the world`s most ethnically diverse and multicultural nations, the product of large-scale immigration from many countries. The U.S. economy is the largest national economy in the world, with an estimated 2008 gross domestic product (GDP) of US $14.4 trillion.
Study in USA
United States of America is the hottest destination for Indian and other international students. The quality of education, flexibility, large campuses, friendly environment, funding and international opportunities are only but a few of the reasons for attracting the elite students from throughout the world. It is not so easy to dislodge the pre-eminent position of US as the `land of opportunities`.There are approximate more than 4000 universities and colleges in the USA, offering short-term certificate programs to Post-Doctoral level degrees. Most students prefer to study in the USA at either the Bachelors level or Masters. These colleges and universities constantly rank very high in world rankings because of their infrastructure, technological advancement. Master`s level is the most popular among Indian students who would like to chalk their career plans for higher education. At this level, Engineering and its specialties (MS) are most popular, followed by Management (MBA) and other subjects like Pharmacy, Public Health, Physiotherapy and other programs. USA is known for its latest technologies and advancement in technical fields which gives the student a very good chance to make his/her future in these fields. USA has always been a hub of inventions. Students therefore have first hand knowledge about various technologies coupled with excellent research opportunities.
Cost of Studies
US Universities fall under two major categories: public (state supported), and private (independent) institutions.The tuition fee is different for different universities and varies widely with courses. It can vary from as low as $ 8000 a year for state universities to as much as $ 30000 per annum for some private universities.
Each university and college has its own admission requirements depending upon the course of study selected. Successful admission for International students requires preparation & research. The admission process is a long one, and should ideally begin at least 4 to 6 months before your expected arrival in the USA. Organizing and planning are very important.
- For Undergraduate courses: 10 + 2.
- For Bachelor Programs: 16 years of education required, but some institutions accept 15 years of formal education.
- For Masters Programs: Graduate with Good & Strong academic background.
- Other requirements-
- Good scores in English exams like SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS etc also required by colleges and universities.
- Recommendation letters.
- Strong financial background or good grades to get a scholarship.
US universities and colleges have following intakes:
- Spring: January / February.
- Fall: August / September.
- Summer: April / May.
- SEVIS Registration.
- Proof of SEVIS fee Receipt.
- Valid Original passport.
- Confirmation Page of online submitted Form DS-160 with CEAC Bar code.
- Visa fee (Fees to be paid in advance at participating HDFC Bank before taking an appointment).
- Original Interview Appointment letter.
- Evidence of financial resources.
- Educational Documents (Original degrees certificate along with Marks sheet).